Thursday, February 7, 2013

Stained Glass

Earlier today, I came across a picture of the stained glass pineapple that I had made in crafts my junior year in high school and, surprisingly enough, it was actually pretty good!  Anyway, it reminded me of the stained glass that seems to always be present in churches and then I thought I could do some research on the history of it as well as share some pictures of the most beautiful windows!  As the All-Saints Episcopal Church says on its website, "stained glass windows are a vehicle for sharing the story of God's great love for all who will look upon them."  These windows have been popular since the time of ancient Rome, and the art reached its height between 1150 and 1500, when huge windows were commissioned for great cathedrals like Chartres.  As many people in the congregations of this time period couldn't read, the windows played an important role in teaching people religious stories as well as helping them to understand their beliefs. 
This window is located in Notre Dame Cathedral and depicts many different Bible stories.
This window sits in the Cathedrals of Liverpool.  It depicts what I assume are the disciples sitting in a boat, which refers to a Gospel story.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment