Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Flowering the Cross

I apologize, but I forgot to blog about this Easter custom and I think it's kind of interesting.  My church at home does this, and I participated in it last Sunday.  In fact, I helped to cut the flowers beforehand.  Anyway, it is traditional in some churches to decorate a cross with cut flowers on Easter Sunday.  Although the cross was originally a cruel form of execution, this website says that "the cross stands at the center of our faith as a symbol of life."  Therefore, it is fitting that the cross be decorated with flowers to represent life on the day that represents Jesus's returning to life and conquering of death.  In addition, the image of a flowering cross has been found in Christian art as early as the sixth century, and it apparently is "based on a legend that says that the cross itself burst into bloom at the moment that Jesus died."  An account of this custom as well as many others can be found on this website: http://fullhomelydivinity.org/articles/easter%20customs.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment